Guyton and Hall textbook of medical physiology / John HallNot available only show available only show available only show available only show available
Gumberg Oversized - 1st Floor
QP34.5 .G9 2011
DUE 01-12-22 ~
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Saunders/Elsevier, c2011.
- xix, 1091 p. : ill. (mostly col.) ; 29 cm.
- Rev. ed. of: Textbook of medical physiology. 11th ed. c2006.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Functional organization of the human body and control of the "internal environment" -- The cell and its functions -- Genetic control of protein synthesis, cell function, and cell reproduction -- Transport of substances through cell membranes -- Membrane potentials and action protentials -- Contraction of skeletal muscle -- Excitation of skeletal muscle: neuromuscular transmission and excitation-contraction coupling -- Excitation and contraction of smooth muscle -- Cardiac muscle; the heart as a pump and function of the heart valves -- Rhythmical excitation of the heart -- The normal electrocardiogram -- Electrocardiographic interpretation of cardiac muscle and coronary blood flow abnormalities: vectorial analysis -- Cardiac arrhythmias and their electrocardiographic interpretations -- Overview of the circulation; biophysics of pressure, flow, and resistance -- Vascular distensibility and functions of the arterial and venous systems -- The microcirculation and lymphatic system: capillary fluid exchange, interstitial fluid, and lymph flow -- Local and humoral control of tissue blood flow -- Nervous regulation of the circulation, and rapid control of arterial pressure -- Role of the kidneys in long-term control of arterial pressure and in hypertension: the integrated system for arterial pressure regulation -- Cardiac output, venous return, and their regulation -- Muscle blood flow and cardiac output during exercise; the coronary circulation and ischemic heart disease -- Cardiac failure -- Heart valves and heart sounds; valvular and congenital heart defects -- Circulatory shock and its treatment -- The body fluid compartments: extracellular and intracellular fluids; edema -- Urine formation by the kidneys: I. Glomerular filtration, renal blood flow, and their control -- Urine formation by the kidneys: II. tubular reabsorption and secretion -- Urine concentration and dilution; regulation of extracellular fluid osmolarity and sodium concentration -- Renal regulation of potassium, calcium, phosphate, and magnesium; integration of renal mechanisms for control of blood volume and extracellular fluid volume -- Acid-base regulation -- Diuretics, kidney diseases -- Red blood cells, anemia, and polycythemia -- Resistance of the body to infection: I. leukocytes, granulocytes, the monocyte-macrophage system, and inflammation -- Resistance of the body to infection: II. immunity and allergy innate immunity -- Blood types; transfusion; tissue and organ transplantation -- Hemostasis and blood coagulation -- Pulmonary ventilation -- Pulmonary circulation, pulmonary edema, pleural fluid -- Physical principles of gas exchange; diffusion of oxygen and carbon dioxide through the respiratory membrane -- Transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide in blood and tissue fluids --
- Regulation of respiration -- Respiratory insufficiency-pathophysiology, diagnosis, oxygen therapy -- Aviation, high-altitude, and space physiology -- Physiology of deep-sea diving and other hyperbaric conditions -- Organization of the nervous system, basic functions of synapses, and neurotransmitters -- Sensory receptors, neuronal circuits for processing information -- Somatic sensations: I. general organization, the tactile and position senses -- Somatic sensations: II. pain, headache, and thermal sensations -- The eye: I. optics of vision -- The eye: II. receptor and neural function of the retina -- The eye: III. central neurophysiology of vision -- The sense of hearing -- The chemical senses-taste and smell -- Motor functions of the spinal cord; the cord reflexes -- Cortical and brain stem control of motor function -- Contributions of the cerebellum and basal ganglia to overall motor control -- Cerebral cortex, intellectual functions of the brain, learning, and memory -- Behavioral and motivational mechanisms of the brain-the limbic system and the hypothalamus -- States of brain activity-sleep, brain waves, epilepsy, psychoses -- The autonomic nervous system and the adrenal medulla -- Cerebral blood flow, cerebrospinal fluid, and brain metabolism -- General principles of gastrointestinal function-motility, nervous control, and blood circulation -- Propulsion and mixing of food in the alimentary tract -- Secretory functions of the alimentary tract -- Digestion and absorption in the gastrointestinal tract -- Physiology and gastrointestinal disorders -- Metabolism of carbohydrates, and formation of adenosine triphosphate -- Lipid metabolmis -- Protein metabolism -- The liver as an organ -- Dietary balances; regulation of feeding; obesity and starvation; vitamins and minerals -- Energetics and metabolic rate -- Body temperature regulation, and fever -- Introduction to endocrinology -- Pituitary hormones and their control by the hypothalamus -- Thyroid metabolic hormones -- Adrenocortical hormones -- Insulin, glucagon, and diabetes mellitus -- Parathyroid hormone, calcitonin, calcium and phosphate metabolism, vitamin D, bone, and teeth -- Reproductive and hormonal functions of the male (and function of the pineal gland) -- Female physiology before pregnancy and female hormones -- Pregnancy and lactation -- Fetal and neonatal physiology -- Sports physiology.
- Human physiology.
- Physiology, Pathological.
- Physiological Phenomena.
- Physiological processes.
- Alt Author
- Guyton, Arthur C.
- Add Title
- Textbook of medical physiology
- Textbook of medical physiology.
- 9781416045748 (alk. paper)
- 1416045740 (alk. paper)
- 9780808924005 (International ed.)
- 0808924001 (International ed.)
- 090825s2011 paua b 001 0 eng cam1a
- DNLM/DLC eng DLC NLM C#P YDXCP YBM VAM CDX TULIB
- [ q]DUQQ 3
- QP34.5 .G9 2011
- 612 22
- YBP Library Services YANK 3328191
- Coutts Information Services COUT 10706214
- Z0 DUQ
- Richard King Mellon Foundation